Best Above Ground Pool Robotic Cleaners (Top 5 Picks)
Keeping your pool clean is an essential part of the daily maintenance for a healthy pool life.
Ensuring the pool is free from debris will not only improve its appearance, but will also improve its longevity and cut down on the cost of chemicals for water treatment.
So let’s be honest – we know it’s essential, but who wants to spend an hour or 2 every day sweeping and skimming their pools to maintain optimum cleanliness? I hear crickets chirping.
Alas, there is a solution: automatic robotic pool vacuum cleaners.
Consider them the maid service of the pool world. Robotic cleaners aren’t a new item in pool accessories, but they have come a long way in recent years as far as cleaning rates and available options.
We have looked at the most reviewed and rated robotic pool cleaners available and come up with a list of the Top 5 Best Above Ground Pool Robotic Cleaners for you:
The coveted top spot on our list goes to the Smartpool model NC22 SmartKleen robotic pool cleaner.
This lightweight design comes in at #1 largely due to it’s ability to clean not only the pool floor, but also the walls.
That is a nice feature to ensure your pool stays its cleanest with minimal effort.
We also love its versatility in its ability to be used on multiple types of pool surfaces (liners, concrete, fiberglass), its quick draining feature for a simple removal process, and its energy efficient shut-off feature.
This is definitely one of the best above ground pool robotic cleaners on the market today.
- Powered by a 24-volt pump motor that provides vacuum suction and jet-drive propulsion
- Includes a 2-hour automatic shut off timer that helps reduce chemical, water, and energy costs
- 2-hour energy efficient shut-off feature
- Quick drain system
- The 1 year limited warranty is below the average industry standard
#2 – Aquabot Pool Rover Jr
The Aquabot brand is one of the most widely purchased and reviewed robotic pool cleaner brands available today.
The high number of reviews alone are impressive, considering they still strike a 4-star rating average.
Their Pool Rover Jr model offers a standard 40-foot cord with swivel option to avoid tangles, a built-in 2-micron fine reusable filter bag and a power supply transformer.
This robot is fully automatic and vacuums any round, oval, or rectangular flat-surface above-ground pool in 1 hour or less.
- Revolutionary design uses intelligent navigation that doesn’t require walls to change direction
- It's surface cleaning capability is excellent
- Extra-wide non-marring wheels
- Removes objects from large leaves to algae as small as 2 microns
- Can cover the pool floor only (no wall coverage) and some reviews claim it has a weaker suction ability than some of its competitors.
#3 – Dolphin Escape
The Dolphin Escape model is perhaps the most aggressive robotic cleaning option available to consumers.
This bot includes rotating scrubbing brushes to achieve the most thorough clean possible from a sweeper.
Due to the scrubber function, it can even clean stubborn algae and dirt that has settled in to crevices that a regular bot would miss.
It also has a revolutionary new design that uses debris cartridges instead of traditional filter bags, making it easier to clean and giving it a stronger suction power with no filters to clog.
This option would be our favorite on the list if it weren’t for its higher price tag.
- With its stronger suction power, it has the fastest cleaning time available
- No messy bags! Large debris cartridge holds up to 60% more debris
- Hyperbrush™ Dual Scrubbing Brushes
- SmartNav 2.0™ Robotic Scanning
- The scrubbing brushes may be a selling point, but they will also cause your pool liner to wear out faster
- The higher price also makes this less feasible for many pool households in the market
#4 – Aquabot Pool Rover S2 40
Being the most purchased and reviewed robotic brand on the market, it’s no surprise that Aquabot would make our list with a second model.
This one has a slightly lower customer rating than its counterpart on our list (3.5 stars versus 4 stars for the Aquabot Rover Jr model).
However, we do like that it offers a whopping 80-85 gallon per minute filtration rate, which in layman’s terms simply means a much faster cleaning rate than others.
This option does also clean the floor, the cove, and part of the wall as well, which makes it the only other product on our list to cover more than just floor space.
- Higher filtration rate compared to it's competitors
- Sleek design allows for maximum maneuvering through the pool
- Includes 40' kink free, EZ swivel cable
- Powerful Suction - over 80 Gallons per minute
- Safe for all surfaces including vinyl liner pools
- Most customer complaints are regarding the unit failing not long after purchasing it (1 year warranty is included)
#5 – Blue Wave Aquafirst Super Rover
The draw to this bot cleaner is its advertised jet propulsion feature, giving it the fastest cleaning option available.
It comes with double the filter bags, allowing for a faster clean due to less clogging, and we like the extended 50-foot cord.
It's pricing is also right on par with other competitors of the same caliber.
- The fastest cleaning performance we found of all models in the same price range
- Filters 80-85 gallons per minute
- Filtration system and will remove dirt, algae, bacteria, debris from your pool floor with ease
- Includes 40 ft. of floating, kink-free cord with EZ swivel
- Only cleans the pool floor, not the walls
- Some customers complain that it doesn't do a good job with fine debris or algae
There are many options available to consumers today in the way of robotic pool cleaners, but it is important to do your homework (or just read our articles and let us do the homework for you), and make the best choice for your pool.
Keeping in mind the energy efficiency and potential savings from tip-top equipment and the benefits of prolonging the life of your pool by choosing gentle, yet effective cleaners, will help you to make the best decision for your family.
Categorised in: Pool Accessories